Thread: Raised Bed Idea
View Single Post
Old November 24, 2015   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Now that the peppers have been harvested, I can finally start working on the raised beds. Getting the ground ready is something I can do by myself, and besides, the foundation is where you start.

First thing is to find out just how out of level the ground is. I chose the starting corner and ran a line level. As I've written here before, we live on a hill and have since 1992. I guess you get used to it being out of level because the drop is much more than I thought. The width of the bed is 12'. On the low end I measured and hung the line 11.5" (A 2x12) On the high end - to make the bed level it's 5.5" (A 2x6).

Hmm, I wanted to use 2x10s on the high end and 2x12s on the low end. A quandary. Our 45' x 45' main garden which is <100' away is not level. The fence around the garden is not level except the gates. The gates look odd being level out here. The lumber we have most of are 2x6s and 2x10s, so my thoughts right now are to use 2x10s on the low end and 2x6s on the high end. That would mean it is 2 inches out of level over 12'.

Here are pictures of the layout being level. Opinions are much appreciated. I will run the line using a 2x10 on the low end and post pictures.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HNI_0021.JPG (71.7 KB, 299 views)
File Type: jpg HNI_0022.JPG (71.5 KB, 297 views)
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote