View Single Post
Old July 3, 2016   #51
GrowingCoastal
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
What I finally did was to put a stern note on his door. I informed him that surveillance and harassment are against the law, and that if the behavior continues I won't hesitate to file a police report and to have an officer at his door. And now we wait...
Deborah, you are not alone. I live on my own with my little dog.

The last time my one cranky neighbour flipped out on me was when I put up a 'no smoking' sign on the side of my garage. After he ranted at me about the sign I asked him why I had to inhale when he smoked, that I understood he was trying to hide it from his family but why did I have to share? This was something he had just started doing and would light up as soon as his wife left the house; intlerable when she left for a week! Pretty sure he was also smoking something other than tobacco which is neither here nor there to me but might be outrageous to his wife. The smoking stopped and I took down the sign. Problem solved.

I do not like being verbally attacked over the fence and plan on telling him that I will get a restraining order if he does again. It hasn't happened too often over the years but is upsetting when it does. I got the last scenario on video along with the one where he took a hammer to smash down the top loops of my chain link fence at one end without a word to me. Where he has tied in his fence to the one on this property is visible for anyone to see, again without a word to the new owner who is now my landlord. ( I sold my place but get to stay on enjoying my garden.)
That neighbour tried to ruin my relationship with my landlord, as well, out in the street one day. I tried to ignore it but he was still at it when I stepped out again so I confronted him and he left crying vendetta. I feel sorry for his family when he rants at them about whatever over and over again. I think others do too.
I try not to return the nastiness. For example, I have not complained to the city about the three dogs when by-laws say only two are allowed. I trim the flowers from the laurels that I know make them sneeze with allergies but I doubt they notice or appreciate it.

I haven't found a better place to move to so stay on. Sometimes it is better the devil you know. I had built a second fence to block them out and that works for me.
GrowingCoastal is offline   Reply With Quote