View Single Post
Old May 27, 2015   #22
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I don't have an answer to your question, or nothing to add to "Stupice" or 'cherries' for cool + hot tolerance really... but it is a common problem. Our climate seems to be similar to yours. I try to plant early to get good fruit set before mid July because that's usually when we have the "too hot" situation for a couple of weeks in the greenhouse. It's often overcast here in spring, and I find that the tomatoes are visibly shocked when the sun comes out . They have adapted to the low light condition and when it suddenly changes - well, we suffer the same thing ourselves to be honest. My buddy calls it the "mole man" effect.

Still I expect the tomatoes to set and not drop their blossoms as long as temperatures stay below 90 F. Extra water helps if they're having a lot of wilty down time. (Really noticing that this year - watering even when they're not dry, made them a lot happier on a bright sunny day).

It is a worthy goal, to find tomatoes that tolerate both extremes of their temperature range. But also, if there are ways of taking care of them that will help, I'd like to learn about it.
ah ha ... see the coastal cool climate thing is a problem

that most of the inland does not seem to understand .....I always used to start early

to get the early fruit set and expect that the main growing season "could be " all over by August 25 or so as we could then get the first Fall rain that would last 3 days and was cold

...yes cold .....good for fish and ducks .....but not so much for regular Tomatoes in such marginal conditions .....at this point after the 3 day fall flood then would come the late blight

so if you didn't have Juliet , Legend , and yellow Pear in the mix with some other hybrids(gasp) you could get wiped out with late blight in the air ...at this first Fall Flood (anytime after August 21 ) I would pre-emptively move select containers under a covered deck ....less light but less of a beating from the cold fall rains......the quality of the plants was then extended.

Gardening in Newfoundland you must for sure understand the time limit of our coastal growing situation .

I can say I use Latah in the garden every year! In the cool years when we have had only 4 days of 70F/20 C or over by august long weekend it never let me down I think Latah is good for the regular sub 70F type years ...but I am not so sure on the Heat Tolerance .
BlackBear is offline   Reply With Quote