View Single Post
Old April 6, 2018   #24
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

While Im thinking about it, some observations.

I probably should write this down somewhere, but I took note of some cold damage hardiness. Some stuff just took it better then others. Which is really no surprise. Most of the damage was brown crispy leaves. Most plants went into a state of dormancy. Now the weather is getting better, most plants have new growth and are turning nice and green.

Tomatoes - Most varieties showed signs, and slowed down in growth. To the point of looking dormant. Interestingly the variety "Aunt Rubys German Green" never showed any signs of damage. Just slowed down. Maybe it has cold hardiness?? The worst was "Large Red Cherry". Most have never recovered.

Peppers - Very similar to the Tomatoes, and are finally starting to come out it. The worst was Jalapenos. The best, Cal-wonder. edit: Actually the worst is a toss up between Poblano and Anaheim. They might just be trashed. Maybe not. Kinda curious what the end result will be.

Eggplant - Only started "Stars and Stripes". Will probably be trashed.

Artichokes - Imperial Star is the only variety, and they cruised thru the cold like it was nothing. These also sold at the Farmers Market like Hotcakes. Next year, Im going to start a lot more. Thats for sure.

Herbs - Sage, Oregano, Parsley, Thyme all slowed down. The Oregano and Sage showed some crispy leaves, thats about it. Basil slowed but the true leaves never showed signs. Which surprises me, based on everything I read about Basil hating the cold.

Lettuces and Cabbages no damage.

Snap Peas in the raised beds took forever to sprout. But they are growing now. My main concern is that it will get hot before they produce. So now I have a race on my hands.

Sunflowers - No damage whatsoever. Just slowed down.

Stock - No damage.

Dahlias - Only lost 1 or 2 plants out of 5 flats? Think that was due to critter damage. Otherwise, no signs of cold damage.

Marigolds - Strawberry Blonde showed the most damage. They are very slowly coming out of it. Petite Mix, and French Vanilla showed some signs but nothing like SB. Eskimo just slowed a little bit. No noticeable damage.

Sweet Pea - no damage.

Cosmos - no notable damage. Just slowed way down.

Zinnias - Surprisingly no damage. Just slowed down. Maybe lost 1-2 plants to unknown causes.

Thats all off the top of my head. Other stuff like Cucumbers and Various Squashes never got exposed to the extremes in March, so they are growing just fine.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote