View Single Post
Old January 6, 2018   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

Hi Lisa,

I kept those plants growing in the hopes that I would get some decent fruit. And there were some, but there was nothing so special about the taste that I would consider them 'contenders' and save seed. Just in case there may be anything in the genetic makeup that made them more susceptible to potassium defects - although the environment can account for it.

Also I am planning to ditch all the soil in that container, just in case there was any contributing factor. I did change out my container soil this year but was a bit short of nutrients. I had more peat than compost, and I don't think the soil is anywhere near the condition I had after multiple years of adding 1/3 fresh compost and kelp. So I have to keep working on that and up the compost next season. I also need to grow LESS plants in my greenhouse. 20 plants in there is a very full house. I had 50 in 2016 and still 30 after thinning it out this year. It is literally under the ground and very narrow space 28 X 12. Temperature extremes, especially heat and high UV direct sun which is not diffused because of having glass instead of plastic. Ironically the sunny weather this year made heat = rapid growth and more risk of potassium defects due to shade. The only way to win it is to select for resistance and of course, thin it out. So hard to do when working on breeding projects... you want to grow more not less.

Re: roasted. Yes I had so many Rodneys of various kinds, I made batches of roasted Rodney sauce, it's all delish.

Last edited by bower; January 6, 2018 at 05:13 PM. Reason: add
bower is offline   Reply With Quote