View Single Post
Old May 8, 2018   #7
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Mark, there are several different ones like that for sale and IMO just forget about it. When plants are small,OK,they use up most of the water in the trays,and who puts the water in the trays, You fill up the trays unless there's been some darn good rain.

The one shown shows water can get to the soil,I call it dirt,so what happens to moisture down there in the dirt?
When the plants get bigger, same story.

Have I ever used them,yes, ones that had no water entry to the dirt just once and never again.

So why did I do it in the first place?

There were all these claims about using different colored plastic mulch, that turned out to be false claims,the ones where you put a cone shaped plastic tent that had chambers you put water in so they'd collect thermal energy that would keep the plants from freezing, if that happened.

I'm just a curious person when it comes to new this,buy that.,etc.

Carolyn
Carolyn, my interest was not because of the red claims. I'm considering them because I sometimes pay someone to weed my beds and at the end of the season they are often overtaken with weeds again, which means I have to pay someone AGAIN, and you know I hate spending money, especially money I don't have. Maybe I'd at least be weed-free for almost 1 sq ft per plant

I 'm considering using them in my 3x7' square foot pepper bed too, that would only leave small strips 3-5" between all the plants, eliminating 90% or more of the weeds and sedges.

Also, the beds are on drip fertigation, this will visually help seeing any bad emitters or problems. I don't have to manually fill these up

P.S. The cone shaped ones? Are you talking abot Wall o' Water's?

Last edited by korney19; May 8, 2018 at 02:34 PM.
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote