View Single Post
Old March 25, 2007   #33
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Shelleybean,

They were easy to grow in my garden. I'd give em a shot! Just improve the soil, plant bush vars, and water well. They do the rest.

Of course if I wanted to get a larger crop in small space, I'd grow trellised (pole) varieties. But that takes a bit of work.

In N. Houston (Zone 8b/9a), we can start sugar snap/snow peas December 7th through January 21th. Duane, since you're a bit warmer climate (9b/10a?), I'd sow seeds December 14th. I think I started mine early January which was a tad late but it was just frigid outside! Next year I will probably start mid-December so maybe they'll be done and ready to pull in mid-March when I am wanting to plant bush beans or some other crop.

I can buy bagged sugar snaps and snow peas at the grocery store, so really I was growing them for the curiosity of it, and because it makes a good rotation crop since it actually improves the soil, and the because ones at the store are kinda pricey.

Because I don't have enough projects I am thinking of a small garden bed in the front of the house with brightly painted timbers that will house decorative vegetables. I'd start with sweet peas with different colors, perhaps a cherry tomato plant, decorative but useful pepper varieties, clearly labeled hot (picante) and sweet in English and Spanish, and some herbs that the local ethnicities of our community would appreciate.

Last edited by feldon30; March 25, 2007 at 05:41 PM.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote