View Single Post
Old July 31, 2015   #38
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I did a frost tolerance test this spring. I planted lots of tomatoes into a flat and exposed it to frost/cold, and then planted them out 6 weeks earlier than normal, and culled anything that got too damaged by the frosts or cold. Some of the plants had ripe fruit on them yesterday. Two of the plants are descended from SunGold. We suspect that one of the ancestors of SunGold is Solanum habrochaites which is known to have more frost/cold tolerance than domesticated tomatoes. So I might be able to achieve four goals with this line:

-Orange Fruits
-Frost Tolerance
-Open Flowers
-Early Productivity

Two things missing from my wish list would be larger fruits, and determinate growth habit.

So I definitely aught to try to cross pollinate something descended from SunGold with something descended from the [DX52-12 X Jagodka] family. Jagodka is moderately frost sensitive. DX52-12 is tolerant of light frosts. DX52-12 is the closest thing my valley has to a local heirloom. Fruit size is about 10 ounces. Jagodka is my main early season production tomato.

Here's what the most precocious plants in the [DX52-12 X Jagodka] family looked like yesterday:

Last edited by joseph; July 31, 2015 at 01:31 AM.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote