View Single Post
Old January 7, 2018   #19
bower
Tomatovillian™

@jmsieglaff It's only worth writing it up if people enjoy it Thanks!
Incidentally, I tried looking for an early "tell" again - looking for correlations between petal number, locule number and size. I know there is some correlation possible, at least I know big fluffy blooms with lots of petals turn into big beefs, but the Rodneys didn't have any quite that big. Petals varied from 5 to 7-8 in the first flowers and I dutifully wrote those down. But the correlation with size of fruit and locule number wasn't there. One problem was, the number of petals varied, so you couldn't count on the first flower as a tell.

At least one of the plants ID'd as 5-petals did turn out to be a small round cherry sized fruit, but another 5 petal turned out to be "Greypot 3P5" our taste winner with 4 locules and no smaller by weight than the "Whitepot" with 6 locules.
The two plants in the green tub were given the "primo space" because of 7-8 petals. Their fruit were no larger than the others. Not as big as Terracotta East with 5 locules.
I also saved seed from one extra tasty outdoor "Buffpot" which iirc had 7 petals as well, but only 3 locules.

So the petal "tell" was a total nonstarter. Try, try something else.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote