View Single Post
Old January 31, 2018   #8
My Foot Smells
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownrexx View Post
I don't add any nitrogen to my own garden so I am no expert but I just recently read an article in Mother Earth News about nutrition in modern vegetables compared to those grown in past decades and they stated that modern commercial farmers add too much nitrogen to get quicker growth and that the plants put more into the leaves than the fruits leading to less nutrition and possibly flavor in the fruits.

Maybe having super green leaves is not something to strive for.

I did decide to try adding some blood meal last year around my tomatoes as a side dressing and I ended up having skunks digging up the area so I won't do that again.
Have tried blood meal on some potted plants, but my beagle mix hit all the spots too & BM was expensive - at least the stuff I used.

Not striving for "super green," but just a more healthy appearance. "Seemed" like the plants were more prone to disease and "ugliness" w/o the proper balanced diet. My soil test had over the top P & K, but was well below rec on N.

I don't have a huge field, just about 1500 sq ft. - mostly large raised beds on top of clay soil.
My Foot Smells is offline   Reply With Quote