Thread: New High Tunnel
View Single Post
Old February 6, 2016   #48
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiquee View Post
Great info. How do you "show" you have the potential of being an ag farmer? I would ideally like to cut hours at work and back fill it with selling plants, seeds and produce. I'm running a test of doing all three this year. But on a much smaller scale.
Raiquee, if you can show a planner that you have skin in the game financially, I think that would work. My question when I started was, if you are a beginning farmer, you are not an ag producer yet, so how can we have a payment rate for beginning farmers? They told me that is why you just have to have the potential to farm. A homeowner in the burbs cant get a farm and tract number assigned to them, so that weeds out a lot of people with "the potential" to farm.

Example: you have purchased materials or things that show you are doing something other than growing a personal garden or raising plants for your own use. You have FSA assign you a farm and tract number. You have the potential to farm. Note: you don't need to have a corporation/LLC or use a farm name. In fact, the paperwork is much easier if you go that route.

I will ask for clarification on Monday.

When I first started this job, I asked if bee keepers were ag producers, and they said if the person collected and sold honey, YES.
NO talk of scale either.
I will get more details and get back to you.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote