View Single Post
Old June 18, 2017   #11
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

One of my experiments, These are some F3 terenzo plants (3 in a 16 inch pot on a stand)
Just starting to bloom. Attractive enough to be on the patio, early and should be productive.
I think that success in baskets or a pot in a stand for determinate tumbler types is the size of the pot, bigger being better along with a lot of attention to water and fertilizer.
Something like my photo should be expected to produce easily 600 tomatoes before the end of the season. Tumbling types in baskets are popular in the Canadian prairies and are great for short season areas. Productive and attractive enough to be decorative a large 16 inch basket with 2-3 plants in it, terenzo being a popular one here, blooming and with green fruit on it sells for 50.00 at the big greenhouses in the Edmonton Alberta area. And they sell a lot of them. If I was selling tomato plants in Edmonton I surely would be selling big tumbler baskets well started.
Plenty of bang for the buck and if you can commit to looking after it you will get a lot of tasty tomatoes from that one big pot. My mom grows one tomato pot each year and enjoys counting them. One year she got over 1000 and gives them away to all her friends.
A well watered pot of this size loaded with fruit will be very heavy so consideration needs to be given to a strong support and a strong ( wire or chain) hanger if you plan to hang something like this. My preference is to use the iron plant stand. This will tumble close to the patio floor all the way around and be at least a meter wide once it really gets going. I don't think they are just a novelty, at least not for short seasons and I intend to continue to stabilize my OP version of this one.

KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9151.jpg (529.9 KB, 154 views)

Last edited by KarenO; June 18, 2017 at 01:30 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote