View Single Post
Old May 21, 2016   #10
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

I don't think you'll get very many strawberries if you grow them only as annuals.

(Of course, some may be much better than none -- even if it isn't very many.)

You might open another browser window and look at this site

http:// strawberryplants. org

(Remove the spaces -- I've been trying to avoid posting direct outside of Tomatoville links any more than necessary, as a few months ago Mischka said something about them running up his bandwidth bill -- don't know if he meant all such links or just certain categories, but don't want to contribute to running up his expenses if I can avoid it.)

That is a *great* site on strawberries -- has a section on containers, but lots in many other sections on specific aspects of successful growing in containers as well -- including a variety of ways to overwinter container strawberries. As I recall, he says that you can keep them inside as Deborah suggested, but that it will shorten and reduce effectiveness of their productive life, as they really need a dormant spell.

Be sure to read the questions under the articles, too, as they are actually intelligently answered -- sometimes with a question-specific reply, sometimes with something along the lines of 'I get this question a lot, go here for explanation.'

Really great site for strawberry info!

PS I don't think they sell strawberry plants or seeds themselves, but they have lists of links to sources, by variety. I strongly recommend that anyone using those lists check out the prospective sources via something like the "Scoop on ___" pages at davesgarden, as there is a *lot* of difference in customer satisfaction for the sites listed.

Last edited by JLJ_; May 21, 2016 at 12:16 AM.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote