View Single Post
Old March 3, 2015   #49
parah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenneltop View Post
Greetings All,
I am the one who introduced several of you to the new chance cross between Cherokee Purple and Sausage.
Here is how it all started. Four years ago I notice this odd tomatoe in my patch. It didnt match anything I was growing. It was purple and pear shaped. Of course I saved the seed.
The following year that seed crop produced six distinctive varieties. The two most promising were CHerokee sausage and a long light pink. Others were varing shapes of purple.
I am loving the Cherokee sausage more and more. As someone said it looks like a puple opalka. Kind of three to four sided with a pointy tip, green shoulders that fade into purple. The flesh is increadibly juicy and sweet. The skin is very delicate.In fact it is the most delicate tomatoe I have dealt with. You just have to look at them funny and they bruise. The fruit doesnt suffer from concentric cracking but it does get some longitudinal cracking. Its a regular leafed plant with heavy foilage cover.
The name Cherokee Sausage works for me. Thats what it looks like and thats what it truly is.
Mark
I was searching for more info about Wessel's Purple Pride and found this old post from when the working name was Cherokee sausage.

Wow! 8 years ago... I am glad old posts are saved.