Thread: Onions 2017
View Single Post
Old February 12, 2017   #21
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Hey Salt, I hope your onions are doing well! And hopefully the resulting pain has faded.

I just spent today at the kitchen sink starting onion and shallot seeds while watching my husband through the window, snow blowing the driveway after last night's storm.

It felt good to finally move from planning to doing!

I started Tropea Tondo (round) and Tropea Lungo (long) onions. These don't store well, but I primarily want them for salads so I only grow enough to pull one up as needed throughout the season. If I have extras, I pickle them.

The shallot seeds are an experiment. They are from an unknown shallot I grew last year that went to flower, so I left the flower stalk on and collected seeds after they matured. I'm not sure if they are from one of the two varieties I planted, or if they are from the mystery shallot I grew from seeds Tormato sent me last year. If they grow, I'll have my answer!

As seed germinating season is is now officially here, tomorrow I'll probably finish washing out all my starter pots while watching our next snow storm roll in...
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote