View Single Post
Old March 11, 2018   #9
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

You made my day ...in many ways. I got up at five and did some serious reflection and listening. Did a LOT of looking back and considering what is ahead.
Some have said there is little or no difference between the Greek and Italian Pepperoncini. There is, as they are two different varieties.

From Wiki:The friggitello (plural friggitelli) is a sweet Italian chili pepper of the species Capsicum annuum.[1] It is also known as the Golden Greek pepper, Sweet Italian pepper, or Tuscan pepper.[2] In the United States they may be called "pepperoncini"; they are quite distinct from Italian peperoncini, which are hot Italian chili peppers. The friggitello is mild with a slight heat and a hint of bitterness, and is sometimes pickled and sold in jars. In Italy the friggitello is most associated with Tuscany. The Greek variety, which is sweeter, is commonly used elsewhere in Europe and the United States.[1]

I did order the one you referenced, but noted that the seed provider was from Italy, so I just hope it is the sweet one.

Still looking for the Calabrian, but even there it appears that any pepper from Calabria is Calabrian chili. I'm looking for the shorter, fatter, sweeter one for pickling and cooking, with just a touch of heat, not the long skinny one that is really hot.

Apparently nobody here is familiar with the picking version of Calabrian.

Thank you so much for that source...they were not expensive on the seed or shipping.

Last edited by mensplace; March 11, 2018 at 01:31 PM.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote