View Single Post
Old June 6, 2018   #59
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

June 6th, 2018

• Just finished up a small section of the AT with my brother and daughter.

I have been experimenting with cooking up some perpetual spinach for dinner and its pretty good. Its not so good raw.

• I rinse the spinach place in a pan with a tablespoon of water or so, cover with a pot lid and steam a bit, I then add a bit of olive oil, a pinch of salt and a pinch of crushed red pepper, sometimes garlic.

• The pond is looking good, I really need to get in the pond and clean it up a bit.

• Jimmy Nardello in the Pond veggie filter

Planted some hollyhock a friend had given me. I had no where to put these so I crammed them in with the Maypops.

• My sugar snap peas have been coming in, the plants are half the size of the Swenson Swedish Snow Peas but are producing like crazy, I like to pick these when they're young for stir fry's and such.

• Planted some crimson clover in the hugel beds. The worms in the Hugelkultur beds are going absolutely nuts, these are worm castings. They're mostly on the top 2 inches of the beds.

• I tucked in some Kraft paper that was headed to the recycle bin for them to munch on.

I pretty much have been in the garden after work most days just tweaking everything munching on strawberries every day and some mornings.

I have my irrigation set for 20 minutes every 48 hours, so far it has been OK.
Before an expected rain I soak the hugelkultur beds with my collected rain water. This frees up the barrels for fresh rain water.

I'm hoping by next year I can turn off the individual water lines to the hugelkultur beds and supplement with just rain water, I'll probably have to water the first several weeks until the roots are established, this is my game plan anyhow.

Been weeding a bit, cutting back the oregano and cabbage, and trying to stick to my strategy... everything is tossed back on the beds nothing is removed

Sowed a bunch of crimson clover in the hugelkultur beds, I figured most of the plants are established so they shouldnt be bothered by the clover.

• The oats are doing well, these were planted too densely and some are dying off.
  • The turtles love it in here.

• Strawberries have been doing well. I eat some and share with the turtles when I'm out doing yard work.

• Cape Gooseberry

• Most of the pepper plants are doing well, plants are small but producing.

• I have this spot marked as a Corno Di Tor Rosso, but the closest thing it resembles is a Jimmy Nardello

• Grow dammit!!

• This is my first year with Marconi peppers.

• I may need to add some trellis to this area next year, I'll see how the squash performs and decide if I want to make it wider or not.

• First year with Blueberries

• Last year my first tomato on and last one off was from a Box Car Willie, this year the first on is a Rutgers.

• Time to play, my better half took the dog to the vets so I recycled some leftovers for dinner.

• Sugar Snap peas roasted with olive oil, garlic, soy, sesame oil, some sriracha sauce, and chives.

• Dinner is served, I call this my, "Poor Mans Lasagna", leftover Cheese Raviolis, Caramelized onions, Green peppers, some breakfast sausage from breakfast burritos I made Saturday, in a tortilla topped with three blend cheese and a bit of Sriracha Sauce. Garden Strawberries and Sugar Snap Peas. AWESOME DINNER!

SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote