Thread: Lawn Mower ~
View Single Post
Old November 10, 2006   #19
Tomstrees
Tomatovillian™

Creister -
Would grass clippings in with the shredded leaves provide the nec. nitrogen needed for leaf growth? Last thing I want to do is have a lack of N ~ Even balcance is key ...

Tjg911 -
T , you bring up some interesting points, and I think I shouldn't go over-board with my shredded leaf levels.
I grow organic as well ... NO NOTHIN THANKS!
Daconil ??? MG ??? Its poison I tells ya ! lol ~ If the plant is in trouble in my garden ... planting a sucker it is ~ and if that doesn't work out ??? Plants pulled and
"soil-rehabilitation" it is ~

Gimme3 -
My soil , in my garden spot before was clay/sand in some places ... its improved ALOT ;
In my opinion (within moderatation)
you have to replenish your garden every season ...
I only grow tomatoes and peppers (heavy feeders) ...
I mean you have to give back what you take right ???

I don't have a big patch, so crop rotation
to me is a thought of the fututre ! :wink: (soon)

Regarding the seawed:
I live at the Bayshore of NJ ... like 1/2 mile
away from my own bay-beach ...
I've been collecting seaweed doing for a few years now ... the turn out HAS been awesome - After applying the seaweed even as a mulch, you can see the plants perk up in just a couple days after application ...

I get a large black garbage bag full at
a time a few times a season ~

But let me tell you ... if I lived near a
fresh water pond/lake I'd be living in seaweed !!!
My brother and I were talking about doing that next summer ... my parents live on a lake littered with seaweed and sun fish ...
alittle of both would certainly do a garden good ~ :wink:
I'm sure Native Americans would agree with me that
fish guts is the stuff that makes plants grow !

ATT : COPY AND PASTE IN WORD !!! LOL ~
Gimme3 -
Are you looking for nutritional value of
acorns for people ? for animals ? or for use as compost ?
I found this:

Acorns are attractive to animals because they are large and thus efficiently consumed or cached. Acorns are also rich in nutrients. Percentages vary from species to species, but all acorns contain large amounts of protein, carbohydrates and fats, as well as the minerals calcium, phosphorus and potassium, and the vitamin niacin. Total food energy in an acorn also varies by species, but all compare well with other wild foods and with other nuts.

Acorns also contain bitter tannins, the amount varying with the species. Since tannins, which are plant polyphenols, interfere with an animal's ability to metabolize protein, creatures must adapt in different ways to utilize the nutritional value that acorns contain. Animals may preferentially select acorns that contain fewer tannins. Creatures that cache acorns, such as jays and squirrels, may wait to consume some of these acorns until sufficient groundwater has percolated through them to leach the tannins out. Other animals buffer their acorn diet with other foods. Many insects, birds and mammals metabolize tannins with fewer ill-effects than humans. Several human cultures devised acorn-leaching methods that involved tools, and that could be passed on to their children.

Species of acorn that contain large amounts of tannins are very bitter, astringent, and potentially irritating if eaten raw. This is particularly true of the acorns of red oaks. The acorns of white oaks, being much lower in tannins, are nutty in flavor, which is enhanced if the acorns are given a light roast before grinding. Tannins can be removed by boiling chopped acorns in several changes of water, until water no longer turns brown. Being rich in fat, acorn flour can spoil or get moldy easily and must be carefully stored. Acorns are also sometimes prepared as a massage oil.

Acorns were a traditional food of many indigenous peoples of North America, but served an especially important role in California, where the ranges of several species of oaks overlap, increasing the reliability of the resource.

Acorns, unlike many other plant foods, do not need to be eaten or processed immediately, but may be stored for long time periods. In years that oaks produced many acorns, Native Americans sometimes collected enough acorns to store for two years as insurance against poor acorn production years. After drying them in the sun to discourage mold and germination, Indian women took acorns back to their villages and cached them in hollow trees or structures on poles, to keep acorns safe from mice and squirrels. These acorns could be used as needed. Storage of acorns permitted Native American women to process acorns when convenient, particularly during winter months when other resources were scarce. Women's caloric contributions to the village increased when they stored acorns for later processing and focused on gathering or processing other resources available in the autumn.

Women shelled and pulverized those acorns that germinate in the fall before those that germinate in spring. Because of their high fat content, stored acorns can become rancid. Molds may also grow on them.

Native North Americans took an active and sophisticated role in management of acorn resources through the use of fire, which increased the production of acorns and made them easier to collect. The deliberate setting of light ground fires killed the larvae of acorn moths and acorn weevils that have the potential to infest and consume more than 95% of an oak's acorns, by burning them during their dormancy period in the soil. Fires released the nutrients bound in dead leaves and other plant debris into the soil, thus fertilizing oak trees while clearing the ground to make acorn collection faster and easier. Most North American oaks tolerate light fires, especially when consistent burning has eliminated woody fuel accumulation around their trunks. Consistent burning encouraged oak growth at the expense of other trees that are less tolerant of fire, thus keeping landscapes in a state in which oaks dominated. Since oaks produce more acorns when they are not in close competition with other oaks for sunlight, water and soil nutrients, eliminating young oaks more vulnerable to fire than old oaks created open oak savannahs with trees ideally spaced to maximize acorn production. Finally, frequent fires prevented accumulation of flammable debris, which reduced the risk of destructive canopy fires that destroyed oak trees. After a century during which North American landscapes have not been managed by indigenous peoples, disastrous fires have ravaged crowded, fuel-laden forests. Land managers have realized that they can learn much from indigenous resource management techniques, such as controlled burning, widely practiced by Native Americans to enhance such resources as acorns.

or are you looking for something like this:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size: (100 grams)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 509

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 31g 48%
Saturated Fat 4g 20%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 0mg 0%
Total Carboydrates 54g 17%
Dietary Fiber 0g ~
Sugars 0g ~
Protein 8g 16%

Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Iron 5% Calcium 5%

*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs

Nutrient Information
Vitamins %DV
Vitamin A 0 IU 0%
Retinol 0 mcg
Retional Activity Equivalent 0 mcg
Alpha Carotene 0 mcg
Beta Carotene 0 mcg
Beta Cryptoxanthin 0 mcg
Lycopene 0 mcg
Lutein + Zeaxanthin 0 mcg
Vitamin C 0 mg 0%
Vitamin E 0 mg 0%