View Single Post
Old May 18, 2007   #2
Woodenzoo
Tomatovillian™

Wasn't sure if you were looking for a cold or hot slaw dressing, so I'm posting one of each. The second one seems to be like the one our family enjoyed when I was growing up though I think my mom added chopped onions....

Sweet and Sour Slaw

1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup cold water
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
8 cups shredded cabbage
1/2 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1 tablespoon chopped pimento pepper

In a jar with lid, combine the sugar, vinegar, water, salt, mustard seed and celery seed. Cover tightly and shake vigorously until sugar is dissolved. Chill dressing for several hours or overnight.
In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, celery, green peppers, pimento and dressing until evenly coated. Cover and chill until serving.

W.K.K. HOT BACON DRESSING

Makes about 1 cup dressing for slaw, spinach, etc. Use 1 large or 2 small cabbages, grated as desired for slaw. 1/2 c. cider vinegar 1 1/2 tbsp. sugar 2 tbsp. water 1/4 tsp. salt 1/8 tsp. pepperNOTE: Dressing can be made ahead of time and heated to boiling, at the last minute, prior to serving.

Cut bacon into small pieces, place into skillet over medium heat; fry until crispy. Remove bacon bits from grease with slotted spoon onto paper towel to drain. Pour grease into Pyrex measuring container and set aside. In same skillet, over medium heat, pour 1/2 cup vinegar. Add water, sugar, salt and pepper. Stir to mix. Continue stirring while slowly adding 3/4 cup reserved bacon grease. Cook until mixture boils slightly. Remove from heat and immediately pour over salad/slaw fixings. Toss salad to mix. Sprinkle bacon bits over top of salad. Serve right away.

The 3/4 cup of reserved bacon grease seems excessive to me. May want to try a smaller amount at first.

Last edited by Woodenzoo; May 18, 2007 at 01:50 AM. Reason: To add note about bacon grease
Woodenzoo is offline   Reply With Quote