Thread: Garlic 2019
View Single Post
Old June 18, 2019   #40
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Good to know about the Red Russian. Sounds like a good compromise that I may need to trial this fall.
I must note that I almost never get 4 cloves from my porcelains. More like 6.
I forgot to mention that I harvested the 2 Turbans i tried. I planted half pound each of Tzan and Thai Fire. They were small bulbs from the supplier, as it was late summer and that's all they had.
I got a range of sizes.
By the time I clean them up, there might only be 2-3 wrappers.
If i recall, you are supposed to harvest them before tops turn brown at all, unlike the porcelains. I pulled them when some yellowing was happening. Maybe that was too late.
They should be fine, but I wonder if they will keep until November for replant.
They were much earlier than my porcelains, which was why I wanted to try them. Hoping to get something early to start selling in early June instead of July. I harvested them the last week of May. So, 2 weeks earlier than porcelains. Probably could have done a week before that, but I was waiting to see if they could size up. But, the cloves were small to start, so I think I was waiting on something that wasn't gonna happen and could've gotten more wrapper leaves.
I'm gonna replant all the Turbans I harvested. Ill weigh those this week and see what my yield was from 1 total pound.

Last edited by PureHarvest; June 18, 2019 at 11:44 AM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote