View Single Post
Old February 5, 2013   #26
Zana
Tomatovillian™

I was booked to go do architectural research in Armenia back in my undergrad days. But the Canadian dollar was doing a nose dive and the trip just got toooooo expensive to do on a student budget. Which was a bummer since getting there was going to be the expensive part....especially since I'd spent months getting all the paperwork done to go. And there was a serious pile of diplomatic tapdancing to do to get permission to go.

That was all before the fall of the USSR. No issues now. Quite a few family members have visited Armenia and family there. Its funny but I wasn't even aware of how many relatives I had there until I started working on the family tree in the past 7-8 years. Apparently a number of my Father's first cousins left Egypt to go to Armenia in 1947. Then couldn't get out after Stalin clamped down. Some left for the U.S. in the 1990's, some were killed in the big earthquake in 1987, and some are still there.

A trip there is still on my bucket list. So love to hear about other's trips there.

Zana
Zana is offline   Reply With Quote