View Single Post
Old May 14, 2017   #22
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I believe various results are directly related to paying attention and catching troubles
early. Or if every year problems are inevitable, be pro-active and use your preferred methods
early. Sometimes the damage is done before noticing. Leaf sucking critters take sometimes a week
to show any damage.

I sprayed my mix of fermented garlic and hot pepper, mixed with DE two months ago all around
the base of our home to keep out the army of ants we used to get every spring...and a prayer that
it helps with some other unwanted pests. I have two aggressive sprayers that will not clog DE.
I mix a big batch and hit most of the yard edge forest. I don't believe DE is less effective wet as some do.
It does not dissolve in water as we know from 'flour-dry'. Just disappears into the soil from wash-out.
Re-applying as a top dressing is recommended.

When the aphids hit my peppers seedlings, micro sunflowers, and the asparagus seedlings
all at once, i used avocado oil and castile soap immediately, and made DIY sticky traps and
vinegar/soap traps.
After first taking all plants to the sink for a dip/water bath. I needed an immediate head start
to start the battle right away. Obviously not possible for the garden plants.

Beneficial Nematodes tonight. Everywhere. Had all day rain yesterday. I do this once a year and keeps
lots of early hatches down. Or may be just a prayer. But i see fewer ticks every year to almost none.
-I live in a forest.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote