Thread: Striped pepper!
View Single Post
Old February 24, 2017   #238
Darren Abbey
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
I plan on starting all the seeds I have. I plan on isolating all of them so they basic self. I'm going to take one or two plants once I see what is produced and am thinking about crossing it with Putzagold and the Fish Pepper.
I've already crossed one of the M2s with a separate line I have that has large purple flowers. My goals for it are to breed up a larger-flowered type for floral display, as well as just playing around with the interesting F2s that will be produced from the divergent parental genetics.

I also want to cross an M2 to a line of small-sweet-brown-upright fruited bells, with the goals of increasing the fruit size but otherwise maintain the overall form.

I'd never heard of Putzagold. It sounds pretty.

Quote:
Gonna try the Fish Pepper because it has stripes. Have no idea what to expect, but thinking maybe with the stripes there might be some way to yet get that Jalapeno with red stripes.
The variegation in Fish is reportedly very heritable, but I haven't been able to find much detailed information. If you crossed it with a brown jalapeno-type, you should be able to get a plant in the F2s that has fruit which ripen red with brown stripes (or brown with red stripes). It would be a different aesthetic than the Enjoya pepper, but it'd have some of the novelty.

I have Fish pepper, as well as some nice jalapeno types, and some brown types. I can't seem to find any images of a true-brown jalapeno, so that combination may not be available. Getting all of the traits piled into one plant would take a few years... we may have something to keep discussing that would be fitting for the name of this thread.

Quote:
Just wish it didn't take so long for the plants to grow and produce.
Don't I know it. I'm in Minnesota. I had to pull them out of my garden and put them under lights to get them to ripen. It would help to get them started much sooner than I did, so I hope to have better luck this year. It would also help to keep the rabbits off of them, which may be trickier.

Last edited by Darren Abbey; February 24, 2017 at 12:18 AM.
Darren Abbey is offline   Reply With Quote