View Single Post
Old October 20, 2019   #277
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I have been working on several micros. Below are pics so you can compare their fruits.

Seeds were started Jan 7 and I finally pulled them Oct 7. All just kept pumping out fruit which continually surprised me and the neighbors I gave them to. That's a real plus in my book . I also really like that they are so accessible in small pots on the patio. The flavor may not be as deep or sweet as a mid season regular sized favorite but I still like the flavor. I also like having tomatoes all year/ so I guess there are gives and takes. On the whole mine were more tangy than sweet, but all, with the exception of one are keepers for me.

33xF6- love the carrot leaf. Not MF, red fruit with a nipple. Earliest producer.This has been stable for me over several generations now.
51xF4 red- Not MF. The only one where the flavor was bland and I found the skin tough. I am not taking it forward.
51xF5yellow- This is a great little plant. Not MF. Yellow tomatoes with cute nipples, good production. Probably my favorite flavor wise. Neighbors liked this best too!
70xF4 red/yellow stripes- I like this one quite a lot. Great looking. Not MF. Fruits are similar in size and color to Sunrise Bumblebee. The smallest plant of all my micros-about 11" Similar in size to Hardin's Miniature for me.
70xF4 purple- MF and the largest fruit of any of the micros I grew. Great color. A taller plant closer to 18-20" (so technically not a micro?) but still manageable in my veg trug on the deck.
17xF2-red- sowed 125 seedlings, narrowed down to 7 searching for micros. Kept and grew 3 smallest. All had red tomatoes. 2 of the 3 were MF. All 3 were dwarves. 2.5-3 ft. I guess I will go back to the F2s and try again. A genetics question here, is the micro trait fixed for further generations if you find it in the F2's? If my F2's were dwarves and I grow their seeds will all be dwarves going further-ie no micro could pop up?

Heide
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IeuwAyOjTb2LpuaVdLxbSQ.jpg (257.0 KB, 101 views)
File Type: jpg RD5qGE8dTJCtO7SYtagqgw.jpg (243.8 KB, 104 views)
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote