View Single Post
Old June 25, 2016   #65
jhp
Tomatovillian™

Default More June photos...anticipation

Cukes on the way, these are Green Fingers. Meant to be picked at about 5 inches and eaten with the thin skin on. I've been picking stink bugs off for the past few days. Ick!

Flower on my Beatrice eggplant. It's been a few years since I've grown eggplant. I've recently decided I really love to eat them, whereas before I was just okay with them. I like to roast thin slices in the oven and then top with tomato sauce. So good. I can't remember how long it takes for a fruit to form after flower. Seed package says these are supposed to be approximately 80 DTM. These were planted out only a month ago. So that would mean another 50 days? Can't be. I hope not.

Beans on the way! These are Royal Burgundy. Growing my own has ruined me for anything store bought. I love to grow anything purple. Can't wait for these!

Still picking lettuce from my March planting. I noticed a few looked like they were ready to bolt today, so I cut their heads off. This was for my lunch today. I eat a big salad for lunch most days, so I go thru a lot of lettuce. I calculated the money saved by growing my own and it's quite a bit per month of homegrown lettuce. This has made me want to make an effort to extend my lettuce growing season. Most things in the garden, I suspect, in the end cost more to grow than buy at the store. I haven't done the math. But with lettuce, I know I'm ahead!

Jen
jhp is offline   Reply With Quote