View Single Post
Old November 24, 2014   #12
MrsJustice
Tomatovillian™

Default Gorund Cherry

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJustice View Post
We have just identified the wild tomatoes growing on our Historical Property called an Aunt Molly Ground Cherry Tomatoes.
I thought it was a weed, so I let it grow in its own areas for the last 18 years until we could identify it. Looking for these historical wild tomatoes has been an adventure which caused our heirloom tomatoes inventory supplies to increase before our other Heirlooms Vegetable Seed Varieties. Native American taught the American Slaves how to plant wild foods that grew back each year in wooded and open plains area’s for a survival food supply. We are very thankful To God that we have identified the last Historical Plant growing on this historical property.

I have not been abe to find 1879 history on the "Aunt Molly's Tomatoes.

Can someone let me more about this Variety of Tomatoes befroe 1879? They are very tiny and very sweet.
Her are pictures of the these ground cherry plants: just in case you have not seem them grow before. http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...809#post437809

Wikipedia Encyclopedia desrcption of Ground Cherry puts the origination in Mexico. Maybe the Contrabans Slaves used this disprition of "Wild tomatoes" becasue they did not know how to read and understand English very well as they called them "Wild Tomatoes as a code name as a survival food source".

Is it possible that the European of the "ground cherry", was classified John Fraser.
This the information in the Wikipedia below.
Physalis (/ˈfaɪsəlɪs/, sometimes /faɪˈseɪlɪs/)[2] is a genus of flowering plants in the nightshade family (Solanaceae), which grow in warmtemperate and subtropical regions of the world. Most of the species, of which there may be 75-90, are indigenous to the New World with one notable exception (P. alkekengi). Cultivated species and weedy annuals have been introduced worldwide. A notable feature is the formation of a large papery husk derived from the calyx, which partly or fully encloses the fruit,.[3] The fruit is small and orange, similar in size, shape and structure to a small tomato.

At least 46 species are endemic to the country of Mexico.

Many Physalis species are called groundcherries. One name for Physalis peruviana is Cape gooseberry, not to be confused with the truegooseberries, which are of the genus Ribes in the family Grossulariaceae. Another name used to refer to the fruit is simply golden berries.

I love the Name Aunt Molly's because it reminds me of my Aunt who let me farm with her when i was a little girl. We here at Angel Field welcome the Name and the Identification of our "mysterious weed" Called Aunt Molly Ground Cherry Tomatoes.
Farmer Joyce Beggs

Last edited by MrsJustice; November 24, 2014 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Dyslexia
MrsJustice is offline   Reply With Quote