View Single Post
Old October 4, 2018   #51
MsCowpea
Tomatovillian™

DocBrock,
I did a little experiment several years back. Tomatoes in organically fertilized earthbox tasted WAY BETTER than tomatoes in a synthetically fertilized earthbox. The difference wasn’t subtle but very pronounced and easy to detect in a blind taste test.

I was surprised as I had accepted conventional wisdom for decades that a plant doesn’t know if you use synthetic or organic fertilizer. This may be true but the implication was also that flavor or taste is not impacted but I actually no longer believe this to be true. (At least in my self watering containers using the inputs that I used. In hydroponics they make a great effort to use the ideal amounts of nutrients to hopefully produce a good tasting but high yielding product.)

Over a long season the fertilizer in an earthbox does peter out so I understand the popularity of supplementing with ‘the snack’ (calcium nitrate).
That combined with an organic fertilizer (like a TomatoTone) would seem to be combining the best of both worlds. I Haven’t tried ‘snack’ yet. Like you I would still like to find the ideal liquid organic fertilizer to supplement earthboxes and other containers so I am once again experimenting with different inputs this season. Will let you know if anything stands out.

"When we kill off the natural enemies of a pest we inherit their work."
Carl Huffaker

Last edited by MsCowpea; October 4, 2018 at 10:21 PM.
MsCowpea is offline   Reply With Quote