View Single Post
Old February 21, 2007   #6
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I'm finally catching up Tom and took a look and agree with bcday on the ID.

Since I'm switching back to growing perennials and roses I've decided I also have to get back to growing African Violets and Columneas and Sinningias under lights.

The problem is, I do the crosses and wait for the seed pods and then sow the seeds of one pod and there are hundreds of seedlings that come up.

And being a compassionate plant person I just couldn't kill them, so I'd transplant almost every darn one.

Then I'd haul them into work and give them away to students and faculty alike.

Being older now, I'll be more selective in what I do grow in the Gesneriad group, which is wonderfully adaptable to artificial light growing.

Right now I'm waiting for all the catalogs to come in that I've requested online.

Having spent several hundreds of dollars already for my starter sized perennial plants, without even ordering my roses yet, or my hostas or shrubs, methinks I'm in deep deep trouble here, re what's called money.

But what the heck, I'll be 68 in June, you all can send roses, , and my mobility is shot and so growing primarily fragrant flowers is what I want to have done, b'c for sure I can't get out there and do it, but folks can cut them and bring them in for me.

My fave fragrant ones are heirloom dianthuses, peonies, roses, certain daylilies, mums, yes, I love the smell, and quite a few others.