View Single Post
Old April 7, 2015   #10
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heyyou View Post
Thanks for the comments everyone. My wife just pointed out that a 3 year old bag of leaves had composted (mostly anaerobically) until not long ago when the bag got punctured.

I like the garbage can idea Redbaron. For clarity, you don't add any water right? Just toss grass clippings on top and close the lid? Then in a week or two toss them into your regular compost pile?
Yes, no water. That is because absolutely fresh grass clipping have a lot of water, and the "drippings" will drain into the brown oak leaves. Grass clippings can get pretty slimy, especially the bottom layers. This way the slime wetness absorbs into chopped leaves. Then you would kinda mix and fluff before adding to your normal compost pile several days later. At that time of course you would add some water ... but only if needed. My normal compost pile has plenty of drainage though.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote