Thread: Micro-organisms
View Single Post
Old November 2, 2009   #42
igarden
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
The question is, with Lactobacillies there are approximately 125 species. Which one are we talking about?
i am still learning more and more each day as i study this. i have only made the LB from rice and washed rice water. i don't know which species it is, but it works for me. i know that i am creating microorganisms that are aiding the plant in growth through soil and foliar feedings. the concoctions are to create health in the plants and the one i tried so far has.

from what i undertand, Lactobacillus is a major part of the lactic acid bacteria group, whom most convert lactose and other sugars to lactic acid, and, are supposed to be common and mostly benign.

i suppose, perhaps, the species might depend also on what one uses. for instance, when making the EM/BIM, one would use cucumbers to improve cucumber plants' health and melons for watermelon plants' vigor and peach skins for peach trees and so on.

Quote:
The only time I've seen a plant flourish overnight was when I watered it after missing a day.
me too before i tried this homemade LB! i will take pictures next spring for you. can't wait to see what the homemade EM/BIM does!

Quote:
As far as the anti commercial references these companies are the one's that spend the big bucks to purchase the needed test equipment to do the research on the Rhizobacteria we are talking about. They have a right to reap the fruits of their labor like anybody else in a capitalist system or go bust if they don't. Ami
i still don't understand why we need to buy products when we can make our own? sure, we don't have fancy equipment or maybe know the names of the microbes, but, if it works, why not? i am so amazed at all the reports coming out from here and other countries and on many many forums experimenting with the homemade recipes of Gil C's and such as successes.

like he stated...

Quote:
"By learning how to cultivate microorganisms, growers become able to meet their needs with what exists on the farm and can stop buying amendments from chemical companies (purveyors who, some might argue, are the real peddlers in modern farming). The technology was born of ingenuity, but it has spread by financial necessity, primarily among farmers in developing countries for whom agricultural chemicals are painfully expensive."
then again, many people who garden might not have the time or space to do these homemade concoctions and purchasing would be eaasier.........