View Single Post
Old February 25, 2011   #27
Timbotide
Tomatovillian™

All this talk about Brussels Sprouts is making me want to try growing and
eating them. My county agent told me to start them between Sep 1 and Oct 1
But I'm wondering if he means setting out the plants at that time.
I may get me some seed and plant some in august to see how they do for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
Ruth and Kath, I think you should try starting them from seed in mid to late fall and taking them inside during severe cold and when it gets near the end of winter plant them in the garden and make a cover out of plastic for them so you can cover them if it gets below 26 or 27 degrees for more than a few hours. That way the plants will be fairly large by the time spring gets there and they should have time to make. I would definitely use Bubbles because of their ability to make faster than most others and they are not as large so it is easier to keep them covered with adequate air space around them to protect them. Our problem down here is it can go from the 20s to the 80s in a few days. Sometimes we don't even have a spring, just winter then summer. That is what it is looking like this year. My Brussels sprouts are between 12 and 15 inches tall and it is already hitting 80 degrees. If it stays that warm the sprouts will not form.

To make an easy to use cover for protecting the plants just get some pvc conduit or black flexible water pipe. Cut it in lengths that will form a hoop about a foot above your plants and push the ends into the soil for support. Put one about every 5 ft down the row or bed and then just roll a piece of plastic over it and weight it on each side and the ends. You can open the ends on days over freezing but below 50 degrees to allow it not to get too hot if it is sunny. If it is cloudy you can leave the ends closed unless it gets above 65 or so. If the days heat up over 50 and it is bright and sunny you may need to loosen one side and roll it over and put it back over at night or when the temps will once again be well below freezing. It is kind of like making a small greenhouse for your Brussels sprouts. If you like them as much as I do then it is worth the trouble, and it is a lot of trouble.
Timbotide is offline   Reply With Quote