Thread: Paprika
View Single Post
Old March 16, 2016   #9
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

How interesting! I would never have thought to use it in soups and chili's. Have to give that a try. I use it not only on deviled eggs, but egg salad of which I eat a lot and my favorite is on fried potatoes. They just don't taste right without a bunch of paprika on them. I mix it in with any flour mix I am using as a coating for frying foods.

I did have one very embarrassing moment when cooking with it. Still haven't lived that down. Was having guests for dinner. Made fried chicken. Had paprika and lemon power in the flour coating. I love paprika so much, for the first time I put extra all over the chicken as it neared finishing frying.

I put the chicken on the table and all my quests got very quite before asking me what was on the plate. Eight pairs of eyes looked at me like did I really expect them to eat this. I guess I used to much and it literally turned the whole outside of the chicken skin burnt black. A lot of comments on my cooking and a lot of laughter. Chicken was full of flavor, but I scraped lots of chicken skin off of plates when cleaning up.

I appreciate the suggestion and the offers. I checked and I don't have this pepper.

Wow! That's a lot of nice looking peppers salt.

Does it take a lot of peppers to make paprika? I have the room to grow, but what I am thinking about is our months of 100+ temps when the peppers do not produce with the heat and about how many plants I will need to have producing enough peppers to make some batches.

I know I don't even have the seed of Leutschauer yet, but what kind of equipment do I need to get to make paprika and what do I need to get to store it in? I'm excited to try and make some this year, but am nervous too as I have no idea what to do. I will need help for sure when the time comes.

I appreciate the suggestion of Leutschauer. Thanks so much! It sounds good. A little heat, for flavor but not enough to set me on fire.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote