Thread: pH for sweets?
View Single Post
Old March 16, 2017   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default pH for sweets?

My goal this year is too grow sweets. Don't matter the color or shape I just want something to eat. I grow the hots and super hots and have for years and have to give them away. Tender taste buds here.

I have no problem growing productive hots, but can't get a decent sweet to grow for anything. I realize, I think anyways, that since most sweets are larger peppers that you don't get as many fruits, but I know I should be getting more than a couple, two three per plant. Than again I look at some folks pics here on TV and they have lots of fruits on their sweets, so I know I'm not doing something right.

I been studying several pepper seed sites and see that they suggest pH of 5.6 to 6.2. Is this right? Do sweets need a lower pH? A couple of years ago I grew about 20 plants of sweet varieties and didn't even get enough peppers to fill half of a five gallon bucket. Was a bit depressing. Truth, it was a whole depressing. Even the few peppers I got were not a decent size. Puny things and odd shaped they were. The problem I believe is with me and lack of knowledge with them.

I been raking my brain trying to figure out where I going wrong. I grow in containers. Peppers will get 3 to 5 gallon containers. They get the same as hots for water and ferts. I use MG 6 days a week than one day clear flushing, Tomato Tone will be used on sweets for first time, since I only learned about it last year, and I use Epsom Salt.

Would somebody please, who grows sweets tell me how they do theirs. I went shopping for sweets this year, got some from trades here and some from MMMM swap and while I can handle losses from seed I bought, I don't want to lose seed from TV'ers and their hard work.

I've got the seed to experiment with different methods to try and find how to do it right, just need help in methods to try.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote