View Single Post
Old December 6, 2019   #43
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
If it is a true hybrid, then the tomatoes should not be the same but you never know. I've read here that sometimes the F2s are almost identical but then the F3s start to really vary a lot more and usually not for the better. Since your F2s were good, just continue growing those out rather than chance it with F3s.. (unless you have a lot of space). If you don't have F2s, I will save some seeds for you before your season starts again.

Now that I now that the F2s were good, I'd be more likely to grow them out from a determinate than indeterminate. (jmo - but I feel like I have less invested in the determinate tomato plant).

Once I saved seeds from Garden Treasure (the U of Florida tomato released the same time as GardenGem) and the F2s were better. Saved a bunch of F3s and never grew them out or the F2s again either.

Patrick, (pmcgrady) use to grow out the F2 seeds from Burpee's Orange Slice. He gave the seeds to a bunch of us. I grew the F2s seeds out and they were really good, productive, etc. Saved a bunch of F3s but didn't ever grow them out.
Interesting: Way back I got seeds for what Ginny called Danny. She saved seeds from tomatoes she bought in the store. I grew it maybe F3 and it was very productive and had beautify large grape sized tomatoes. I kept savings seeds and by the time I got to F7 or so I couldn't hardly get any tomatoes out of it.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote