View Single Post
Old September 8, 2014   #5
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Hatch Green Chile stew:
I never measure the ingredients for this.
Brown about 1 pound lean pork, such as tenderloin. Throw in a crockpot along with an onion, few cloves minced garlic, 1tsp cumin seeds. Add about 1-2 pounds of Hatch Green chiles, roasted and peeled. If chiles are mild, consider adding something spicy, such as habaneros or Thai chiles to taste. ( I used my very hot fermented pepper sauce, which also adds layers of flavor). Let simmer with 1 quart chicken broth all day. Add water if needed.About 1-2 hours before serving, add 2-3 large potatoes, cut in bite sized pieces. Taste and add salt. Adjust heat according to taste with hotter peppers or even some roasted and peeled green bell pepper if too hot for your taste.
Shortly before serving add about 1/4 cup flour mixed into a slurry with water, let simmer until thickened. ( I've also used mass as thickener and probably prefer the taste of masa).
Optional-one can of rotel tomatoes. I prefer without, which is more authentic. Hubby likes the tomatoes.
Serve with hot corn tortillas, chopped fresh cilantro and some chopped sweet or green onion. I also like grated cheddar as a topping.
With the leftovers you can make huevos rancheros. I put tortilla on bottom of plate, add a fried or poached egg, cheddar or Mexican cheese and, if desired, serve with cooked black or pinto beans. This is one of our favorite breakfasts.
My mother used to make smothered bean and hamburger burritos using Stokes Green Chile. It's my benchmark for green chile and I try to replicate as closely as I can the flavor.
I recently purchased a bunch of Hatch chiles. I may go back for more to roast and freeze. Not as hot as the chiles I grew in AZ but still with that great green chile flavor.
Had a hard time finding corn tortillas and only one brand of flour tortillas here in my new small town. I ordered masa and a tortilla press and will start making my own. Flour tortillas are amazing fresh off the skillet!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote