View Single Post
Old April 26, 2013   #19
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
brokenbar - My climate in Nebraska is probably similar to your days back in Wyoming (jealousy abounds). When did you plant your tomatillos relative to tomatoes, and when did fruit production begin ? I planted a lone tomatillo last year late in the season from a sale rack. It never produced ANY fruit. I don't know if it was lack of pollination, or if I ran out of season. Do you need two varieties to pollinate, or will two plants of the same variety work? Did you have a raccoon problem with Tomatillos back in Wyoming?
You need two plants for pollination (same or different, does not matter) When you start your tomatoes from seed, wait 2 weeks and start the tomatillos. I never had them not produce fruit in Wyoming and I probably had a shorter growing season than you do in Nebraska (gee I miss that short growing season...OH YEAH SURE!) I never had anything bother the tomatillos...deer don't like them and never had a coon problem with anything but sweet corn...had to build Fort Knox, (7' fence, hot wire top and bottom) to keep the little baasstardos out. (I spelt it the Spanish way and the "Cussing Filter" still got it!)

I loved tomatillos because they were one of the traditional warmer climate vegies that thrived for me in Wyoming.

Last edited by brokenbar; April 26, 2013 at 07:26 PM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote