View Single Post
Old April 22, 2018   #1
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

Default Curing and Fat Neck Onions?

I'm in my second season of growing bulbing onions although I've grow from seed and raised a ton of scallions for ages. So I'm still developing "best practices" through lots of reading and trial and error but I need some advice from real people. You guys are definitely REAL and there are folks here that seem to really know your stuff. Lots of experience.

I started my first ever onions from seed August '16. One was a short day "Red Creole" and one was an intermediate day 'Australian Brown'. They were both set out two months later in October which is when we plant onions in this part of Georgia. As I've posted elsewhere here, the Creoles bolted due to unsettled weather but the Browns didn't. This is what the Australian Browns looked like on June 10 '17 when I pulled them. They stayed in the sun for 2-3 days and then were put on screens under an open air pole shed where most of them went bad except for those we quickly ate.

Question:
Looking at the greens, did I pull them too early to cure correctly?

Question: After reading some posts here in the Alliums forum and other places online, I gather that onions with "fat" necks don't cure well. Is that correct? While there are references to fat onion necks online I still can't find an explanation for what causes it. If it's a bad thing, I want to make sure it doesn't happen. Neither variety, bolted or not, cured worth a darn and a bunch went to the compost pile. Fat neck, skinny neck, it didn't matter.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated because I'd love to have this crop that's now in the ground be successfully cured and saved!
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote