View Single Post
Old August 17, 2018   #74
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Too clean, I don't like it!

Mine are still hanging from early July, with 50-odd spring planted bulbs added mid July. That late March planting didn't turn out too badly...it was only a very small 2x2 or so plot, deep forked, raised compost hill, leftover small cloves, planted with 3-4" spacing just to fill a hole. I got back maybe 25 1.5"-2", and the rest bigger than an inch. Some of the cloves I put in were really quite small because I FOUND bulbs from the seed stock on the ground there in May while weeding. Doh, I THOUGHT I had bigger ones along that day!

Garlic is pretty neat, and I'm loving having a nice supply for canning.
Too clean, yes... and bulb size also diminishes as you remove those wrappers. My biggest was Music, only about 2 3/4 inches. All the main crop porcelains were 2 inches +, and that is big enough for me. Not as big as last year but I won't complain, as long as I'm not losing more than a handful of cloves to damages.
My Mom actually prefers the small porcelain bulbs. She likes garlic but is not allowed to consume really large amounts. She was delighted with the two year old Music last year, so I planted more than I need to grow up seed, for her to enjoy.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote