View Single Post
Old October 30, 2013   #24
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

All true, Durgan. All the more reason to harvest it and get some use out of it. There are at least 6 infested areas over the 10 miles between our county seat and my parent's home. Each infested area covers a few acres. I estimate there must be between 50-60 tons of plants in each infested area, and that is a conservative estimate. I can collect 200-300 pounds within a few feet of my car in about 20 minutes, with only a machete. For most of the growing season, there are no seeds. The seeds (in the shape of beans) emerge in Sept-Oct. I have mulched about 1000 pounds of it over two years, and have not had a single sprout from my compost or from my beds. Of course, I compost at fairly high heat, and one would want to ensure that the composting killed any propensity to propagate. We have the plant - why not use it?

I also want to note that I have served deep fried kudzu leaves - in a tempura batter - to guests several times, and they have a delicious bean flavor. Southerners are amazed when they hear they are eating kudzu, which is a detested plant. If you do this, be sure you pick the smaller leaves - no larger than your hand - and be sure you pick from an area that has not been sprayed. And wash them well - bugs love to hide on the underside of the large leaves.

Last edited by ScottinAtlanta; October 30, 2013 at 09:39 AM.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote