View Single Post
Old February 26, 2018   #28
SQWIBB
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoose View Post
Please see http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ghlight=whoose for a discussion of the issues with treated wood.

I was wondering when someone would jump on the use of PT,
I urge you to do a bit more research before posting things like “Issues with Treated wood”. Maybe change it to “My opinion on the use of Pressure Treated woods”?

If you are referring to this statement on your page,
There has been a lot of discussion on using treated wood on this forum.
Pressure treatedwood is treated with an arsenic-like compound in most cases.

The some questions to consider:

• How much leeches into the ground?
  • How much leeches into your plants?
  • How much longer does treated wood last than regular lumber?
  • How long does it take for the chemical to break down in the environment?

I do see you posted this a bit later,

Pressure treated wood is treated with an arsenic-like compound in most cases, was true. Now most treated wood is a copper based treatment.

I have done research on this until my eyes bled and from reliable sources. And I am 100% confident in my choice of using PT wood in a raised garden bed.
I am not going to debate the use of PT wood in a raised bed garden because everyone is entitled to an opinion and I respect that.
I am not here to ruffle feathers and to be quite honest some folks are just tired of hearing it. Everyone is responsible to do their own homework and make a well informed decision like I have.

I did want to touch on one thing in that post, your use of the word, arsenic-like ??? There is no such thing it's either arsenic or its not! To me that is misinformation and using a word that don't even apply to today's PT woods, IMHO can be considered “fear mongering”, and really should be edited in that post, it's a great post and the links to other discussions about using PT was a good call.

I really enjoyed the read, but that one word just makes me cringe.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way but since you posted this on my Build page I felt it had to be addressed.
SQWIBB is offline   Reply With Quote