View Single Post
Old June 23, 2008   #6
chai
Tomatovillian™

Well, if anyone knows about tomatoes it is you.I listened to the guy at the local Ace hardware this past week.He said I should not fertilize my tomato plants, that they need to be stressed and not watered often.I water them once or maybe if it's real hot, twice a week, that's fine, but have fertilized in the last few months once or twice and he says that is the problem, that they need to be stressed to produce.So what say you? I broke down at the Coop here and bought extra strength Tiger Bloom for fruit and bud but am torn on whether to use it on the tomatoes or not.Do I or don't I? My soil is fine-you are right- there are tomato fields all over the place here.I gave away some Tie Dyes I grew to 3 or 4 friends-they are the main tomato everyone is talking about just so ya know.I'm also growing Pork Chop and Bigbarred -did I get the name right, I'm on the computer afterall and not in the garden....and of course many many others...I know eventually the plants will be big but I want them to produce well.Dh is saying we should do a soil test. Last year everything got so big but did not produce that many and seems like each year has gotten a bit less but that could be our weird weather.I just think it's a matter of doing the right thing-so! Fertilize or not?