View Single Post
Old August 4, 2016   #37
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

I planted my tunnel late this year with no real interest, or intent to sell any fruit. This was the first year in at least 30, that I didn't really have a plan to market tomatoes. I figured I would use and can the bounty, then give the rest to family and friends.

Since my Dad retired,(he is 80 this year)and I started helping my brother a few years ago full time in the building fbusiness, I just realized last year, I can't keep burning the candle at both ends like I had been. I can't build, and grow and market tomatoes and give either the attention that each deserve. So, I decided that I would only grow a few plants.

I discussed this with most of my faithful customers last year, especially the grocery store I had been supplying for years with high quality, vine ripe fruit from good varieties. Every time since the discussion, the store owner would question me about my discission to quit, and if I planted anything this year. I kept them updated on the progress of the crop, and they kept me updated that the customers had started asking about my tomatoes months ago. I finally gave in a few weeks back and told them I could spare a few from time to time. They were tickled, and told the customers. Last week I go to the store to get a couple of frying chickens, and the owner asks how my crop is doing. I tell them it looks really good, and I am starting to get ripe fruit. We discussed when I could deliver some tomatoes. I told them I had started picking, and could bring some the end of the week. The discussion then turned to business.. They bought my whole crop before it is even picked! So here we go, I'll never be able to quit.
Here are a few pic's from this afternoon.
Those supports are 7', the plants are there now.

Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote