View Single Post
Old January 23, 2016   #5
nctomatoman
TomatovilleŽ Moderator

Hey folks - yes, the little Storey Basics Straw Bale book I wrote is indeed now "out there". If you are so inclined, and like the book (or don't like it for that matter), it can use some Amazon review "help".

I am in a bit of a kerfuffle with the author of the previous (and huge selling) straw bale book - no details beyond he made it clear to me on another place that all I did was "buy his book, read it, and steal it for my own - and that if I had integrity, I would have turned my publisher down and not signed the contract to write it, because a perfectly good book was already out there".

Of course, I did buy his book, read it, critically assess it, do the research and give the process a thorough test for two seasons - then wrote my version based on what I observed. So, if not apples and oranges, maybe two varieties of apples.

It raises something interesting I am learning in this garden writin' business. It is a mine field. People are really protective of their areas of expertise. Of course, if the whole thing of turf is extrapolated, we'd have very, very few books out there. We who write are there to teach, coach, inspire. Every person to tackles a subject should be able to evolve it forward as we learn more, and as writers share their own particular experiences. Or, at least that's the ideal as I think it should be. Silly me!