View Single Post
Old July 5, 2017   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

The leeks are American Flag. This is the saga of my leek perennial patch experiment!
My friend initially grew them from seed and passed on some extra seedlings. I ended up planting them in a big fishtub and moving them into the greenhouse for the winter, where I cut rather than pulling them and ate them, and then in spring transplanted the stumps (which regrew) outdoors the next summer, where they set seed and also made some 'pearls' that is younguns in the form of a wee bulb on the side after flowers have been cut or finished. I started another batch from the seed, and voila, I had a Swiss Family Robinson of leeks in the garden, of different ages and stages. The idea was that some would be setting seed each year while others would be for growing and eating. I personally don't feel the need to harvest by pulling since it is a home garden not a market garden... I am just as pleased to cut them and let them regrow. They seem to like it.

They are persisting with surprisingly little care in a bed with other rambunctious perennials, but like all alliums they cannot grow big and flourish without being weeded and divided/fed/ given space. So far this year I have weeded and top dressed them but haven't separated any. Still they can be eaten at any stage, and it is handy to have the patch so I can divide and grow some big ones any spring without the adventure of starting in February under lights. Also good to have seed setting each year so no buying seeds - but with the caveat they set seed very late some years (weather and leeks being what they are).
One last thing about leeks, they make an excellent crop for over winter in the greenhouse, and really keep growing when nothing else would. I really enjoyed my winter leeks. And that reminds me, to steal some from the garden for next winter.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote