View Single Post
Old February 3, 2017   #12
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpop View Post
Thank you very much Barb and thanks for the link. I am very lucky to share my time with them outdoors rather then them being glued to an electronic device like most their age. As far as moving the EB's to the lawn, I will give you the PG version in that my wife wanted her pool deck back haha.

Yes, same as last year the TRM took out my NBD fast and furious. I went out of town for 3 days and came back to darkened stems same as last year. Not sure why they love this particular varity but very disappointed as I only had 1 this year and it was last year's winner by far. Had 2 more plants nearby get them as well but they fought them off w/ treatment (i.e. permethrin and spinosad).

Next came TSWV on my black cherry, then what looked like either early blight or fusarium on most of my plants lower foliage after the damp December. I strongly attribute this to moving the plants from the pool deck to the lawn especially after the lawn guys cover the foliage w/ dirt/dust/debris from their equipment.

Lesson learned and have to keep on keeping on
After they were moved onto the lawn, did you put a piece of plastic or wood between the pot and the ground? We are fully infested with Root Knot Nematodes here in Florida due to our very sandy native soil, and they smell the tomatoes. They will easily migrate right through the drain holes of a pot, but if you only use Earthboxes that is not the likely cause. I did have one Earthbox get them for the first time last year. The yard men's weed whacker kicked dirt up onto the covering, and I hosed it off, and some was washed into the little plant openings in the Earthbox covering, and that was all it Took!
Anyways, for my regular 7 gallon pots, I put the thick plastic from my promix or fertilizer, Perlite, etc between the pot and the soil. Great barrier.
TRMs are pretty much always going to happen, I use permethrin, it is the same as pyrethrin only cheaper because synthetic. Same ingredients. It kills hard shelled insects too, such as tomato suck bugs, and the odd green stink bugs I occasionally see.

For blight, I use liquid copper fungicide, used by organic growers, Southern Ag brand from HD, at 1/2 Tablespoon per gallon.You can mix it and the permethrin. Warning don't get it on the blossoms!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote