View Single Post
Old September 15, 2016   #13
kurt
Tomatovillian™

Default First two sentences from KO link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
I don't think so. From what I see in the pics, the pods are larger than Chiltepin. Plus Chiltepin is an American pepper and these are supposedly from India.

I think KarenO and Worth have got it.

Mirch is the Hindi word for chili. Chilis were brought from South America to India by the Portuguese through their trading colony of Goa. India is now the largest producer and exporter of chilis in the world, growing a wide variety of different types, particularly in the south. The majority are left to ripen to red, and then sun dried. Photo of chilis drying in Rajasthan, northern India © i0091.

As the tomato the pepper did migrate from the Americas.And as all of those introduced new plants,through time,landrace etc.different looks,heats will emerge.

As for the claim of "my carolina reaper"being at 2mill plus.If so and you have tests you should try to get the record changed.

he official Guinness World Record heat level is 1,569,300 Scoville Heat Units (SHU), according to tests conducted by Winthrop University in South Carolina. The figure is an average for the tested batch; the hottest individual pepper was measured at 2.2 million SHU.[4][5][8]

Last edited by kurt; September 15, 2016 at 04:35 PM.
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote