View Single Post
Old February 26, 2017   #12
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I would only grow chives and mint in individual pots or they will take over. I picked up grocery store potted herbs for this since it was a winter herb garden and I wanted to use them for cooking more quickly. Seeds would be cheaper of course. I did not have a large enough window with enough sun here in the north east so they went under the florescent lights I use to start my tomato plants. I used Miracle Grow potting mix. They grew like wildfire. They had no trouble with these containers. The longer you plan to keep them going, the fewer I would put in each pot so they have more room to grow. The more often you cook with them and harvest them the more you will keep them to a reasonable size. It is easy to thin them out when needed or even pull out a plant or two if they get too crowded a and replace them with more soil to give the remaining plants more room as long as you do it before they get completely pot bound. Obviously you can also buy longer planters or more of the shorter planters to fit whatever space you have inside.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote