View Single Post
Old May 17, 2018   #10
fonseca
Tomatovillian™

My soilless mix goes back to 2011. The compost and peat portions break down into valuable humus, why would I ever get rid of it? I recycle it into new batches of soilless mix. It is loaded with worms and beneficial microorganisms. The coarse vermiculite and coco coir chips I use for structure last many years. If you don't use synthetic fertilizers you can recycle forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
My local Lowe's has 2.2 cubic foot Promix HP ( is that the consumer stuff?) for $25
That stuff is 75% peat. But at least it has a good percentage of perlite. I see a lot of people buying the standard Pro-Mix that is 80-90% peat, at grossly inflated prices. 10% perlite is almost useless, and the lime used to adjust the ph is only a few dollars for a 40lb bag.

A 3 cubic foot bale of compressed peat is $10, and expands to 4 cubic feet. Since a 4 cubic foot bag of perlite or vermiculite can be purchased for around $20, I find it much more economical to mix my own. I have to mix it anyway because I add compost and organic fertilizer meals, and the plants mostly get water for the duration of the season. If you just want something you can dump into a few containers and plant the same day, however, Pro-mix HP is probably the best option from big box stores.

I generally add 1 part spent soilless mix to 2 parts new mix. This works for me because I am adding more containers each year. The photo below is 150 gallons of that mix in 30 gallon fabric containers. Unfortunately, we had a torrential downpour before I moved these into position, so now they weigh 200 pounds each...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180517_211857.jpg (91.3 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by fonseca; May 17, 2018 at 10:04 PM.
fonseca is offline   Reply With Quote