View Single Post
Old April 1, 2016   #43
bower
Tomatovillian™

FWIW, last year I sent a large envelope of seeds to Gary, and the postmistress said I had to declare the contents, I told her it's vegetable seeds and she immediately said, not a problem at all, write on the label "vegetable seeds" it's a-ok to send that the US.

Duly declared vegetable seeds, were delivered with no fuss afaik whatsoever from Canada to US. Without any special permits required.

I have never sent ANY kind of seeds to the US or elsewhere without checking online about the status of that plant ie native or not, endangered, or invasive. I understand there's a risk and legitimate concerns, and Richters, in the case of this thread, is a different ball of wax, they sell a few vegetables but mainly all kinds of herbs and that includes wild stuff and some that can be invasive in the wrong habitat. Maybe they're getting attention because of that. And shipping live plants, maybe there's concern about stray seeds of the prohibited things. It could happen so fair enough to take a look. Destroying or waylaying the paperwork is not so legit. And IMO neither is the awful tale of Brokenbar's son and a few chili seeds! Wow.

Meanwhile, I can only dream of the vegetables that run wild and invade, popping up between cracks in the pavement and putting farmers out of business...
bower is offline   Reply With Quote