View Single Post
Old April 4, 2017   #36
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
You could use a pre-emergent around the kennel in early spring to prevent the grass from sprouting. They also have some kind of spray that is specifically made to kill crabgrass. It can be found a Walmart or any big box store. You could also try to harvest all of the seeds. They are good on tofu and add an element to you salad. Another option is to turn the pile and throw the plants onto the concrete to be dried out by the sun and then toss them back into the compost pile once they are good and dead.
Good ideas all around, but, we have really bad wind, so no sprays. I do use Scotts Bonus S Weed and Feed twice per year and I don't want it in my compost. The problem with these weeds is you can't pull them out, you have to dig them out. I don't see any way to really get them without then making more of the seeds to drop and then even more weeds. I am tempted to just to put weed and feed on it and use that compost for around the house instead of in my garden.

We don't compost our grass because of all the weeds out there, and using weed and feed pellets, our neighbors won't treat on either side or the back of us so we get the gift of their weeds all year long. Especially since not one of them will use a bagger on their mowers, which then means I get their leftovers flying through the air into my yard and garden.

If we keep up with Scotts Bonus S, we can get a handle on weeds but we cannot get rid of them all. We never water our grass, it just grows like crazy anyway. Sometimes in the summer hubby is out there mowing three times a week.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote